Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Taking the High Road


So as I told you in my previous post, I didn't check out the Catholic school initially when I arrived here. I was set on sending my children to the base school. I had Michelle over one week, and after we both met in person, she was more direct with me, and basically told me what she would do if she was in my shoes: don't send them to the Japanese school, send them to the base school, and get involved with other activities off base. I felt a huge relief, because someone told me what I needed to do, and it seemed simple enough. I was set now, and didn't need to hem and haw over the school issues again, but I heard voices haunting me "do you want to send your kids to an American school when this is a once in a life time chance?", "they aren't going to even learn the language while you are here?." My husband was supportive in whatever decision I was making with the children. Shorly after, I spoke to my neighbor and she had told me some things that made me really rethink about the base school education. I had to ask myself, "what is the exact goal of what I want my children to accomplish?" Is it only for their academics and to enter into a good college? Is it to learn Japanese, only to not be able to keep up when we go back to the States? I didn't really know, and I felt awful. I knew I wanted to give them a solid Christian education, I wanted them to excel in any school, but I felt something was missing. I had brieftly thought of homeschooling too. Also, I am not Catholic, and this was also a factor for not sending them to the Catholic school.
Then it hit me: The whole point of sending them to the Japanese school and goal is really for me: To be a mother again and to parktake in their education. Perhaps this is a very bad thing to admit, but I hate being involved in the school. I was never active in my kids' education at the school in Charleston. A large part of this was because I worked from the home and was busy working. I told myself when coming out here, I would hire a staff in the US so I can concentrate on the family more while balancing work life. But the thought of being involved in the US school here gave me no motivation to be involved, yet, for some reason, the Japanese school did, and I don't know why. I know the demands are ten-fold in a Japanese school, plus I am would be directly responsible for their ENGLISH education. This scared me. I had to step up to the plate, and the only reason I would step up is if there is some "fear" in me to be held responsible for a large part of their education. Well today, that fear worked itself out-the kids worked their butts off getting ready for school. My motivation isn't the most altruistic, but it helps me get involved in my children, and stay focus. I have to give it all, or none, and halfway is too hard. At the American school, all I needed to do was assist them in their work. In the Japanese school, I have to help them in every way, and it will build not only my character, but the kids' as well.