Saturday, September 4, 2010

Kids Started School



The kids started school and they love it so far. Granted it has only been 3 days, but it's a very good sign. I know Micah, who started Kindergarten cried the first two days, but he is getting familiar with it. He doesn't understand Japanese, so it has been hard on him. I can relate. More than anything, it's been a huge life change on my part. I feel like it's a full time job for me. The driving 25-35 minutes 4 times a day (there and back times 2), and the language barrier have been more difficult than I expected. I cannot help them with their homework, I cannot read the newsletters and announcements that come home on a regular basis, I cannot even ask simple questions, such as, "how were the kids today?" "were they good today?" I realized just what our first generation parents went through, only with less money and support when I was younger, not understanding English.

To be quite honest, I am thoroughly enjoying my children being immersed in the Japanese culture. I have learned tremendously in the last few weeks about the school system, and the vast difference between the schools in Japan and US.