Thursday, October 28, 2010

Yochien



Something that really impresses me about the Japanese schools is how orderly the children are at a very young age. I seriously do not know how a teacher can manage 40 students, and command attention, order, authority and respect. This is how my children's school is. My friend whose been living here for the past 13 years commented how teachers are managers in the classroom. I find that concept fascinating. In fact, at a very young age, the children learn life skills, and structure is an integral part of school. In other words, even lunch time, and eating is part of the curriculum in Japan. My son, the 3rd grader, commented to me tonight how every student finishes their meal. There is no waste, and all students, at least in the elementary level need to eat the lunch the school provides (which is so healthy and tasty). This is not the case in America. The kids waste so much food, and it is a norm. They have bad eating habits, not eating a balanced diet at home, and the list goes on. In fact, I don't even think a public school has 40 students to one teacher. This would never work in America.

When Micah, my kindergartner, started school here, I was told that all they did the first year is play. (very Montessori like) My first thought was, "what is that about? play? he can do that at home, and has done that the last 4 years in pre-school! Seriously, Micah is going to be so bored!"

This is not the case. He learns life skills: being independent, being part of a team, leading, following and serving one another. I have to say, the children in his class are so adorable. The whole Kindergarten class is very endearing to me. I just wish Micah can be as cute as them sometimes, but his little pride gets in the way of letting the children really help him. He is so funny, the teacher told me that he gets very annoyed when girls try to help him. I remember his comment to his teacher last year at school: "Please don't try to make me laugh or smile, because I don't do that." (I died laughing when his teacher told me this, and my mother died laughing when I told her). He has a hard time warming up to people, especially girls!

Today there was no school, as the typhoon is in full session today. They dismissed the school early as a result.