Thursday, November 4, 2010

My Double Life

It ’s been a crazy October because of Micah’s birthday this month, but I have a crazier November and December with all the American holidays and my oldest son’s birthday. Fortunately, he doesn’t want a big birthday party, he wants to only invite the “base children”-aka, the American friends to his party only. In fact, although he loves the Japanese school, his friends are really the ones he can communicate with on base.

Everyday when I pick up my children from Yamauchi school, we get to see all the children leaving: they all walk home from school, walking in the middle of the road, in clusters, carefree and clueless as they walk home. Many stay back and play on the field, or play jump rope. But as soon as I enter inside the American gates of Kadena AFB, we pass 2 schools, and see the stark difference of the Japanese local schools versus the American schools. At the American schools, parents are waiting on the sidewalk or at the car pool line, with a sea of yellow buses parked outside the door. Children never walk on the street, and if rarely will you find elementary students walking home on their own. Once school is done, the students do not hang around the premises of the building like Japan. Last week I made a comment to the children about the schools. “Isn’t it neat to see both schools as we drive home?” We are able to observe and be part of the Japanese school system, but as soon as we enter into America, we see how the American schools are different.” They stared and realized how true mom’s comment was, as they nodded their heads.

In the meantime, as much as I am a commander’s wife here at Kadena, I am getting to know a lot of Japanese parents. I love it. I am so thankful for the opportunity, because I know this is a special season in my life where I am able to befriend Japanese mothers and teachers. I love the fact I can be at my friend’s house having coffee and chatting away on American politics and talking about the latest books as I did this morning, while I leave the gate, and talk to the Japanese parents and teachers about our children and life. It is so much fun, and I am so thankful.

Which reminds me, we have rarely venture off our local area in Okinawa. We haven't been to many places here. In fact, our weekends are full of events on and off base, and I love it. This weekend, we have an 80's party over at our friend's home with 8 other couples, there we will have your typical American party, and on the other hand, I will be attending my friend's child's 2 year old birthday party which is off base, who is a local Japanese. I love how we mingle with both worlds.