Friday, October 17, 2014

Jaq Jaq Bird is celebrating 10 years: a bit of self-reflection



Wow! I cannot believe it, this October, Jaq Jaq Bird will be officially 10 years old! I am blown away by how time flies. To be frank, I feel I should be further along as a company being so old, but I hope this is just the "Korean-over-achiever" side coming out.. I struggle in comparing myself to others, (well comparing companies to other companies!)and I struggle to be an awesome wife, mother and homemaker first. What's been the most challenging personally?  Moving every couple years. However, I see every move to be an opportunity to change, improve the brand. As I reflect my time here in England, I am inspired by the people in Europe and the culture, just like I was inspired in other areas. I hope I can reflect some of my experiences through my design coming out for late 2015-2016. What's been the biggest struggle, professionally? Balancing being a mother, wife & yet constantly cranking out new products/prints has been a challenge. It's hard to be on top of your kids' school & activities, cooking home-made meals and running a business! But this isn't possible without a community of amazing friends & families:

I would be amiss not to thank the friends & family around me: Foremost: my husband, who continues to push me to do everything excellently for God, and supports me 110%, misses work so I can attend trade shows, my children who are always my cheerleaders, inspiration and keeps me accountable! My sister, Caroline: constantly giving me design direction (she hasn't been wrong yet!) helping me with small things that make a huge difference as I live overseas, and lends me money! My mother who is my logistics liaison and also lends me money! She is always excited about my business and loves hearing the latest news. I can always count on my mom to lend me not just money but her ear too. My fantastic assistant, Andrea who keeps me on the course and keeps me in check operationally. Alexandra, my dearest & best friend first and consultant: a breast cancer survivor, blind (practically at birth) mother of three children, wife of an amazing husband Michael working at the SF Academy, and doing life in San Francisco,  probably is my #2 cheerleader. For my other best friends: Sam & Shua Shin, pastor, photographer, graphic designer and are just an amazing couple in San Francisco who love me & our family, have been there for Jaq Jaq Bird since day 1. Sam has done all our photo shoots, catalogs, media material for Jaq Jaq Bird, and Shua did all the finances, and sales in the beginning stages of the company.  But none of this would not be possible if it wasn't for my faith in Jesus Christ, who I unashamedly worship and serve and I thank Him who makes all things possible.

This post is already too long and I wanted to give you a timeline of Jaq Jaq Bird over the 10 years on the next post...More to come on Facebook for LOTS of giveaways as Jaq Jaq Bird has partnered with tons of brands to give you goodies! So please befriend Jaq Jaq Bird on Facebook! :) Stay Tuned!