Monday, September 6, 2010

Homework Panic

The apron I was sewing for my daughter, (still have to make my son's apron too), when they serve food to each other during lunch. I couldn't make the hat to go with it, so I made a bandana to match the apron. This one is my Jaq Jaq Bird collection, but I don't have a banadana to match so I had to sew another one for her.

I should have told my readers, yes, we decided to send my children finally to the Japanese-Catholic school. There are many reasons why my husband and I chose this path, too many to list, in the end, we felt as though it would be a disservice to not send our children to the local school in Japan considering we live here. As I stated before, so many people told us it would be a very hard adjustment. Many Japanese and Americans were surprised that we enrolled them to the school here.

Well, the last 4 days have completely changed my life. I am pretty consumed by the demands of the school-not so much the workload as much as the fact I am a foreigner coming in and cannot help my children with their work. This sent me almost into panic mode this weekend. We were to meet with our tutor for the first time today, but they still had homework for the weekend. I thought until we met with the tutor tomorrow, I can look up the words in the dictionary to interpret it, or get on Google Translate to interpret it, but my second grader came home with Kanji (Chinese character). My third grader had Kanji homework too, and I felt stuck and helpless..well, I went to the Arts & Crafts store on base on Sunday, and a Japanese man who teaches at the wood shop was kind to interpret and write the Kanji for Ellie's homework. It only helped us turn in the paper complete, but Ellie didn't learn anything without getting help in understanding the Kanji.

And I sewed her apron and both kids' bandanas they use to serve food for lunch hour, while the kids continue with their studies.